It’s Monday again, which means I feel like posting whatever the hell I want again.
I have had this half-idea recently, a fuzzy what-if that hasn’t turned into much else, but with my brain constantly going a million miles an hour my most recent brilliant idea is to harvest every tiny creation that comes out of it, shitty or not. I mean, if my life purpose is to be creative, and my personal purpose (or desired purpose) is to make a difference, then I need to make every small idea I have thought of known, in case possibly it will help someone or pick up some heat in the process.
Anyway, today’s editorial/idea is this: Writing Therapy.
This probably isn’t new or doesn’t even sound interestingly useful to most of you, but bare with me here. The past year I have taken up my position as the lead writer for a travel agency (yes, yes, I’m sure I mention it too much, you know already). In doing so I have decided I am completely neurotic, as the opening of my creative mind daily has made me a 1)compulsive list maker 2)considerably more anxious/curious soul 3)avid ‘I can’t get my brain to stop working’ worrier. I mean, I’m sure you’ve read me try to explain it a few times, but sometimes I just can’t get my thoughts to stop. They aren’t always bad thoughts, ie I’m not always anxious or depressed, sometimes they are just creative thoughts, and I can’t keep up enough to organize them.
So I make lists. I make SO MANY lists, that I actually take all my lists from the work day daily and combine them into one final list, and each of those from each day gets compiled into a weekly, then monthly, then yearly ‘important to-dos’ or thoughts or goals, etc. You get the picture, I write out and plan a lot of things in my life.
I know I’m not the only one who does this, it is a seemingly common idea that highly successful or creative people in life make lists daily.
The way I feel I differ, though, is that I try to use list making and excessive habit of writing things out as my own personal therapy, because I am 1) too cheap and 2) too afraid to go to actual therapy. I like my thoughts as neurotic as they are, 85% of the time anyway, and I don’t want pills to dumb them down. I also don’t want to hear I’m crazy out loud, and I also-also don’t want to cry in front of a stranger about my broken brain, they will not take me seriously and neither will I (I’m sure you can find a million denial/cop-outs in this paragraph to not going to a psychologist, I admit, I probably-maybe should go).
So I’m getting the idea out there, in hopes that it may help others, that others may already do it, or that you just get a kick out of the things I think are the most important in life (it’s all about perspective, right?).
WARNING: This list is really scattered and raw, take it as it is, it’s my mind!
Stuff to really worry about/do – 11/7 Edition
(experiment = make list each Monday, dwindle each day of week: set goals and demolish them: accomplishment=purpose)
((At the end of each Monday, delete things you cannot change this week/really aren’t as important as you thought while freaking out, then reblog/check it out on Friday))
(((EXPERIMENT PART = DON’T ADD MORE – either refine or delete)))
- Sell Unwanted Stuff on Swap Shop – Buy Fiance new Work Shoes with Money
- Buy More Christmas Gifts
- Tour Duplex After Work – Finalize Place to Live Next Year
- Weight Loss – Lifestyle Change
- Plan Engagement Shoot – Save the Date Announcements
- Call State Park – Ask Price/locations Available for Weddings
- Vet Visit – Take Care of Dogs Fleas
- Dwindle Ever-Growing Car Debt – Focus on Car, not School or Medical right now.
- Apply for Credit Card – Grow Credit
- Call Experian – Find out why line of credit isn’t reporting
- Send W9 to Freelancing Job
- Buy Stepmother Birthday Gift
- Help Fiance Accomplish Goals – Focus on His Goals
- Submit Fiction Story or Photography Weekly
- Reduce List Making – LIST TOTAL THIS WEEK = _____
- Use Freelancing and Birthday Money for Mexico Trip in December
- Stop always wanting more/bigger things.
- Focus on Things that Matter: Work/Success, Brent/Love, Family/Friends, Environment/Animals, Health
- Decorate Office more Positively
- REMEMBER THAT THINGS DON’T MATTER, FEELINGS AND PEOPLE DO (find gifts that evoke emotion/are recycled)
- Find Things that Matter to Write For
- Read/Listen to 1 classic novel each week
- 1 outdoor activity/ New Fitness Class each week
- 10k steps/day OR elliptical 30 minutes OR run 15 minutes – NO EXCEPTIONS
- Collab Work Writing with Freelance/ Personal Blog for more Oomph? (Personal Blog, Fiction, Travel/Work, Freelance/Magazine) + Design and Photography
- Remember your body is a temple – Decide on Tree or Mountain Tattoo Addition
- Healthy Body = Less Nicotine – Focus on replacing the habit with something else slowly.